The Bylaws of the South Metro Denver REALTOR® Association define the Board of Directors as the governing body of the Association. It is
The Bylaws of the South Metro Denver REALTOR® Association define the Board of Directors as the governing body of the Association. It is the Association’s most important committee.
A basic rule is that the legal entity, rather than the Board of Directors, is the holder of legal power. The powers of the Directors are not inherent in them, but in the organization of such. The principle exists that Directors exercise the powers of the organization, but do not own it. Thus, the Board of Directors has the power and duty to carry on whatever transactions the corporation or the association itself has the power to carry on. The power of the Board of Directors is superior in ordinary matters, so long as it is exercised lawfully and in lawful transactions.
In extraordinary matters, the Board of Directors may not govern, and the will of the general membership must rule. In such matters as a radical change of fundamental policy or purpose, amendments to the Articles of Incorporation, dissolution or merger of the corp., or matters of like importance, the power of decision usually rests with the voting members.
Within the purpose and power of the Association, the Directors are free to change the Bylaws (subject to approval, amendment or repeal by the membership at the next annual meeting. Note: NAR mandated bylaws amendments do not require membership ratification), policies and short-range purposes, but unless the Bylaws expressly permit, they may not do acts that account to changes in the fundamental purposes or operational methods of the Association.
Members of the Board of Directors shall have the utmost interests of the South Metro Denver REALTOR® Association in mind at all times. They shall avoid any contact that may serve their personal interests and should never assume any position that brings their personal interests into conflict or competition with the interests of the Association.
The Board of Directors serves several critical functions: 1) Setting policies and strategic direction, 2) allocating resources effectively and efficiently and 3) evaluating the progress being made to ensure that the policies are adhered to and that the desired outcomes are being achieved.
The Board of Directors further endeavors to:
- Communicate with members of the Association, with the constant aims of fiduciary responsibility, effective understanding of members’ business requirements, and the enhancement of the benefits derived from membership.
- Define, communicate, monitor, and refine SMDRA’s values, policies and strategies.
- Define, as goals, the essential deliverable products and services.
- Delegate to the Chief Executive Officer the responsibility and resources to achieve the stated ends, within the limitations of what the Board of Directors defines as unacceptable practices.
- Operate within the limits defined by relevant statutes and SMDRA’s Bylaws.
- Plan for its own succession.
- Demonstrate leadership by embracing the spirit of volunteerism.
- Promote the real estate industry and REALTOR® organization.
Only the Chairman of the Board may serve as the official spokesperson for SMDRA. Directors may be asked on occasion to speak to the entire industry or profession. As such, every member has the ability to embarrass or enhance the reputation of the group. Therefore, any Director should not speak on behalf of the association without permission to do so.
Board of Directors is composed of 11 REALTOR® members plus any holdovers: See Article XI of Bylaws.
- 4 Officers: The Chair of the Board, Chair-Elect, Treasurer and Vice Chair (elected by the BOD)
- 1 Immediate Past Chair (succeeds automatically to office)
- Chief Executive Officer (non-voting, ex-officio member)
NOTE: Refer to SMDRA Bylaws, Article XI and XII for detailed information related to Officers, Directors and their terms and elections.
To view the current members of the Board of Directors, please visit: https://smdra.com/about-smdra/board-of-directors/
(Thursday) 8:30 am - 11:00 am MST
South Metro Denver REALTOR® Association
6436 South Racine Circle